RUSTIC CHRISTMAS – HOLIDAY DESIGN TRENDS
Rustic Christmas – Design Trends 2018
That most magical of seasons is fast approaching…the time to decorate the house with boughs of evergreens, glittering lights, and rustic Christmas ornaments. It’s the season to entertain friends and family, and a reason to give the best of gifts – those from the heart.
Whether you have a lovely cabin in the woods or a home in the city, adding a rustic touch to your Christmas decor can create a warm and inviting holiday retreat. Rustic accents can easily be incorporated by adding natural accents, such as filling a hurricane or glass bowl mixed with seasonal fruits and greens, mixed nuts, pine cones, and Christmas ornaments. With the release of holiday themes and styles, there is a noted trend towards a rustic and organic approach to rustic Christmas home decorating. Here we take a look at defining some of these trends and locate a few great sources where ornaments in this design style can be purchased.
The three top sources I use for purchasing rustic Christmas decor are Pier 1, Horchow, Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn. I’ve provided an extensive collection of rustic Christmas decorating images for inspiration and ideas.
Warm up with faux fur and set your style aglow. With the softest layers of texture, fresh winter whites and merry metallic touches, you can create a rustic holiday look that’s both effortless and enchanting.
Rustic Christmas, Stylized Woodland & Organic
I have combined these three trending styles as they are similar in nature and complementary to each other. It’s easy to create a rustic style Christmas by incorporating small woodland creatures, such as foxes, owls, bear, deer, squirrels and feathered birds. This style includes a cast of charming characters that work well for rustic, woodland, organic and lodge themes. “The most popular motifs are the ones that are very clean and modern used in slightly more stylish themes,” says Patrick Brinkcate, sales manager for Kaemingk. These finely crafted woodland animals, glittered icicles and frosted pinecones fit right in with shimmery snowflakes and lit bulbs. Ornaments in this collection include cozy log cabins and lit forest ornaments, mirrored snowflakes, silver mercury glass trees, vintage village houses, woodland stockings, faux fur stockings and throws, reindeer, twig tree toppers and moose embroidered pillows. The style embraces an earthy and natural trend in design, and works well with organic Christmas decor. To achieve this look, adorn your trees with woodland creatures and ornaments made from natural materials such as wood, burlap, jute, twigs and sisal.
Heritage Spice Christmas
Everyone will be thrilled to come home for the holidays this season with this sensational Heritage Spice Christmas wreath and garland. The exquisite foliage evokes warm nostalgia, as the wreath and garland are lovingly laden with natural embellishments.
Balsam Hill Woodland Ornament Collection
Balsam Hill’s Woodland Ornament collection infuses all the wonderment of an enchanting winter forest in its set of 35 handcrafted Christmas ornaments. Echoing the beautiful color palette of white frost and earth brown, this collection of hand-painted glass ornaments captures the most breathtaking imagery of winter.
Made from delicate blown glass and the finest natural materials, the Woodland ornaments include Christmas balls, finials, pine cones, acorns, willow balls, bird’s nests, and other woodland creatures.
SHOP RUSTIC CHRISTMAS
Small printed designs are being used this season to break up solid blocks of color. Plaid prints are everywhere – as well as florals and natural motifs. “Fashion’s influence on Christmas décor remains very apparent, with on-trend patterns such as chevrons, ikat and animal prints,” Deb Gold, president of Gold & Company Marketing, Gift/Home/Fashion trends expert, California Market Center, says.
Create a Nostalgic Christmas theme and give your tree a classic twist with glittered family initials, iconic Christmas figurines, and preppy plaid bulbs. The perfect backdrop for celebrating new and treasured traditions. From adorable sleeping polar bears to Santa raccoons, mercury glass ball ornaments, velvet stockings, wooden skis and buffalo plaid.
Add a touch of tartan to your bed or seating for a dose of holiday spirit. Nothing feels more familiar than stockings in cozy knits and playful prints.
Conjure up happy memories of Christmases past with cozy fabrics, timeless prints and the holidays most memorable icons. Try filling vases with faux snow and make it merry with mix-and-match bulbs.
Pier 1 has some great Christmas decorating tips that I thought would be great to share. I hope it assists you in creating a magical holiday wonderland of your own!
- Don’t let your Christmas wreath ideas or your vision for a festive garland stop at the front door.
- Create a wintery landscape in your home by decking your halls, tables and more with inspired and innovative Christmas wreath placements. There is no simpler way to make your holiday home welcoming.
- One bright idea is to nestle a hurricane in a berry wreath for a burst of color and texture. The candlelight alone will create an air of cozy comfort.
- If you’re feeling a bit fabulous, silvery ornament wreaths make a shining proclamation of your holiday happiness when placed among your other decor.
- Christmas wreaths and garlands can also make your house a holiday home from the outside in. On an exterior wall or surrounding a patio sitting space, nothing is more inviting.
- Illuminate your seasonal scene with outdoor lights and lanterns filled with LED candles to encourage friends and family to share in the festivities.
- Home is where the hearth is, and a well-adorned mantel is a must. Wreaths are the obvious stars of your fireplace display, but a supporting cast of berry garlands and even a woodland creature or two will help make your Christmas decor complete.
- Garlands aren’t just for the Christmas tree anymore. And wreaths aren’t the only traditional holiday decorations that are right at home hanging from walls and doorways.
- Repurposing garlands in different locations throughout your house is an inventive way to infuse your daily life with the Christmas spirit.
- The iconic greens and reds of a Christmas garland can transform any space into a yuletide celebration. From staircases to bookshelves to headboards, a cleverly installed garland sends a message that you have a passion for the season.
- Add a natural touch with a garland crafted of pinecones, or go for glamour with golden accents.
- As you explore decorative wreath ideas, remember to add a lighter touch with candleholders, hanging ornaments and embroidered accents. Christmas is the perfect time to let your inner light shine.
- The most important thing of all is that your personal style should shine through all of your holiday gatherings.
Lodge Faux Fur Tree Skirt
Lend warmth to your Christmas tree this season with these Balsam Hill exclusives. The tree skirt and Santa bag feature luxurious faux fur that gives your holiday display a rustic yet sophisticated appeal.
Decorated with red berries, pinecones, and eucalyptus leaves, the Farmhouse Foliage collection fills your holiday home with rustic splendor. Brown magnolia leaves add depth and color while a linen bow reminiscent of French grain sacks lend a touch of vintage charm.
View Recent Posts
For this month’s post on rustic interior design ideas, I thought it would be inspiring to share images from one of my favorite Architectural firms, Locati Architects. I always find myself in awe when I […]
Rustic style interior design describes a range of styles that have all have a sense of connection to the past that’s hard to resist. It’s a style that emphasizes natural materials, organic shapes, and the […]
In the first image, the stems were removed from pumpkins in varying shades and graduated sizes to create a beautiful rustic topiary.
The second image shows just how beautiful a simple rustic display can be created […]
Pottery Barn, a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. portfolio of brands, introduced its stunning Fall Home Decorating 2017 Collection, which has a wonderful collection of rustic decorating ideas, from Artisanal Vintage to Farmhouse Industrial and […]
Rustic Interior Design Styles
Rustic interiors evoke a simpler time and provide a sense of connection to the past that’s hard to resist. Although it’s quite common to blend different elements of each of the rustic styles […]
Modern Mountain Home Tour
This modern mountain home, designed by Studio McGee, is warm, luxe and inviting. Located just outside of Park City, the garage opens up to snowmobile trails, plenty of wildlife and wide open […]