Rustic Christmas Decorating Ideas
Embrace the Charm of the Season: Rustic Christmas Decorating Ideas to Warm Your Home
By Interior Designer, Tracy Svendsen | Updated September 2023
Rustic Christmas Decorating Ideas: The most magical season is fast approaching – the time to decorate the house with boughs of evergreens, glittering lights, and rustic Christmas ornaments. It’s the season to entertain friends and family and a reason to give the best of gifts – those from the heart.
Embrace the charm of the holiday season with rustic Christmas ideas that will transform your home into a cozy winter wonderland. Step away from the traditional red and green and embrace the natural beauty of wood, burlap, and vintage accents to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Whether you have a lovely cabin in the woods or a home in the city, adding a rustic touch to your Christmas decor can create a warm and inviting holiday retreat. This year, consider adding natural accents, such as filling a hurricane or glass bowl with seasonal fruits and greens, nuts, pine cones, and Christmas ornaments.
With the release of this year’s holiday themes and styles, there is a noted trend towards a rustic and organic approach to rustic Christmas home decorating. Here, we define some of these trends and locate a few great sources to purchase rustic ornaments.
The Appeal of Rustic Christmas Décor
Rustic Christmas decor has a timeless appeal that evokes a sense of warmth and nostalgia. The natural elements and vintage accents in rustic decor add a touch of charm and create a cozy ambiance. By embracing rustic Christmas decorating ideas, you can create a unique and inviting space that sets the stage for heartfelt celebrations and memorable moments with your loved ones.
Rustic Christmas decor is all about bringing the outdoors in. The use of natural materials adds a touch of warmth and authenticity to your space. Incorporating these elements into your Christmas decor creates a cozy and welcoming atmosphere perfect for gathering with family and friends.
Rustic Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
The Christmas tree is the centerpiece of your holiday decor, and with these rustic Christmas decorating ideas, you can create a unique and charming tree. Start by choosing a natural-looking tree, such as a real or artificial tree with realistic branches.
Opt for warm white or soft yellow lights to create a cozy and inviting ambiance. Add rustic-inspired ornaments, such as wooden ornaments, burlap bows, or twine-wrapped ornaments, to add a touch of charm to your tree. Incorporate natural elements like pinecones, berries, or dried orange slices into your tree decor. Hang them on your tree as ornaments, or use them to create a garland. Add ribbon or burlap as a tree topper for a rustic look.
Popular Rustic Christmas Decorating Trends for 2023
1. Rustic Lodge Christmas Ideas
Rustic Lodge Christmas decorating embraces a lodge’s cozy and natural aesthetic while infusing it with holiday cheer. To create this look, incorporate greenery, organic elements, warm neutrals, earthy browns, and faux fur. The following images are a great example of a home decorated in a modern rustic lodge style by Lucy of the Craftberry Bush Blog, who incorporated fresh winter foliage, ornaments in earthy hues, black and amber bows, and golden accents.
Rustic Lodge Decorating Ideas | Bronze & Black Christmas Tree
Images courtesy of Blackberry Bush
Here are a few ideas to create a festive rustic lodge Christmas style:
- Natural Greenery: Decorate with fresh evergreen branches, pinecones, and holly. Use garlands made from pine branches to adorn mantels, staircases, and doorways. Incorporate wreaths with a rustic touch using twigs, burlap, and pinecones.
- Wooden Ornaments: Choose wooden ornaments for your Christmas tree. Look for rustic designs like woodland animals, snowflakes, and traditional Christmas shapes. Hand-painted or carved wooden ornaments add a rustic charm.
- Plaid and Flannel: Integrate plaid and flannel textiles in neutral tones in your decor. Use plaid ribbon for tree bows, create table runners from flannel fabric, and incorporate plaid throw pillows.
- Cozy Throws and Pillows: Layer your furniture with warm, cozy throws and pillows in warm hues balanced with white and black. Faux fur throws can also add an extra touch of comfort.
- Antique Lanterns: Place vintage lanterns on tables and shelves and fill them with battery-operated candles or fairy lights for a warm, glowing ambiance.
- Rustic Stockings: Hang burlap, faux fur or knitted stockings from the mantel, bedposts, or stair railing. Personalize them with names or initials for a special touch.
- Mason Jar Candle Holders: Fill mason jars with small ornaments, pinecones, or string lights to create rustic and festive candle holders.
- Natural Centerpieces: Craft centerpieces using wooden crates, birch logs, or a vintage wooden sled as a base. Arrange candles, pinecones, and ornaments on top to create a rustic focal point for your dining table.
- Cinnamon Stick Decor: Attach cinnamon sticks to your wreaths or use them as tree ornaments. Their warm and fragrant scent adds to the festive atmosphere.
- Tree Skirt: Choose a tree skirt made of burlap, sheepskin, or faux fur to add to the rustic appeal.
- Frosty Pinecones: Give pinecones a frosty appearance by lightly spraying them with white paint or adhesive and then sprinkling on Epsom salt. Use them in wreaths, garlands, or table displays.
- Rustic Gift Wrapping: Wrap presents in brown kraft paper and tie them with twine or burlap ribbon. Add natural elements like pine sprigs, cinnamon sticks, or small pinecones as gift toppers.
Combining these rustic lodge-inspired Christmas decorating ideas with traditional holiday elements allows you to create a warm and inviting holiday atmosphere that captures the season’s spirit in a cozy cabin setting.
Big Sur Madera Living Room by Pottery Barn
A welcoming great room decked with cozy throws and twinkling lights. Just add a crackling fire. With extra-cozy, indulgent textures, distinctive pops of greenery, and subtle holiday touches, this warm and woodsy style is designed for savoring the season at home together.
2. Rustic Farmhouse Christmas Decorating Ideas
With its natural elements and vintage accents, rustic farmhouse Christmas decorations add warmth and authenticity to your home. One of the key elements of a rustic Christmas design is using natural materials. Incorporating natural elements into your decor adds a touch of rustic charm and brings the beauty of the outdoors inside.
Use natural greenery like pine branches, eucalyptus, or holly to create wreaths, garlands, or centerpieces. You can also place them in vases or jars to add a touch of freshness to your space. Incorporate other natural elements like pinecones, berries, and dried orange slices to adorn your Christmas tree, fireplace mantel, or dining table. These natural elements add texture and warmth to your decor and create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
To complete the look, incorporate wicker and stoneware, brass and iron bells strung on rope, velvet ribbons, and garland crafted from solid wood. This year’s rustic farmhouse includes festive but subtle Christmas decorations in rich but muted palettes of berry and fir, accented with neutrals such as gold and tan.
The following images are from McGee & Co.’s new line of rustic Heirloom-Quality Holiday Decor, including gorgeous brass decorations, vintage wrapping paper, stunning earth-tone ornaments, textured stockings, faux greenery, and wood-beaded garland.
McGee & Co. Holiday Decor
3. Rustic Cabin Decorating Ideas
Cabin Christmas incorporates natural materials like evergreen boughs, holly branches, pinecones, cozy plaid blankets, festive holiday pillows, and faux fur. To complete the look, use candles or string lights to add a soft glow to the space. With these simple touches, your log cabin will be transformed into a festive winter wonderland.
Rustic Christmas Wreath and Garland Ideas
Decorating with Christmas wreaths and garland is a classic way to add holiday cheer to your home. Here are some ideas to help you decorate with these festive elements:
1. Hang a wreath on your front door to greet your guests. Choose a wreath that complements your home’s exterior and style. You can go for traditional greenery like pine, holly, or cedar or opt for a birch bark or grapevine wreath.
2. Use garland to decorate your staircase banister, mantel, or front porch. You can choose from various materials like evergreen branches, pinecones, or faux snow. Use lights to add an extra festive touch.
3. Create a wreath or garland centerpiece for your dining table. To create a stunning focal point, you can use fresh or faux greenery, pinecones, berries, and other Christmas ornaments.
4. Hang a wreath or garland on a mirror or picture frame to add a festive touch to your walls.
5. Use wreaths or garland to decorate your windows. You can use suction cups or ribbon to hang them on the glass.
6. Add a wreath or garland to your holiday table setting. You can place a wreath in the center of the table and add candles, pinecones, and other festive accents.
Remember to choose wreaths and garlands that match your existing decor and style. Use them sparingly to avoid a cluttered look, and have fun with your Christmas decorating!
Product Information: Balsam Hill Red Berry Pine Garlands, Wreaths & Potted Arrangements
Product Information: McGee & Co. Christmas Wreaths & Garland
Rustic Christmas Decorating Ideas for the Living Room
The living room is often the heart of the home, and during the holiday season, it becomes a gathering place for family and friends. Create a cozy and inviting space by incorporating rustic Christmas decorating ideas into your living room.
Start by adorning your fireplace mantel with natural greenery, such as pine branches and eucalyptus. Add some pinecones, string lights, and a garland of dried orange slices for a festive touch. Hang stockings with rustic charm and fill them with small gifts and treats.
To add warmth and comfort to your living room:
- Incorporate cozy throw blankets and plaid pillows into your furniture.
- Choose warm colors like deep red, forest green, and caramel brown to create an inviting atmosphere.
- Add rustic-inspired accessories like lanterns or wooden crates to complete the look.
Product Information: McGee & Co. Holiday Decor 2023 Collection
Rustic Christmas Dining Room Ideas
Friends and family gather in the dining room to share meals and create lasting memories. Create a warm and inviting atmosphere in your dining room by setting a rustic-inspired Christmas table with natural elements.
Use mason jars or galvanized buckets as centerpieces and fill them with pine branches, berries, and pinecones. Add some rustic-inspired table linens, such as burlap table runners or plaid tablecloths, to create a cozy and festive look. Incorporate vintage accents into your dining room decor, such as antique silverware or vintage glassware.
Use rustic-inspired dinnerware, such as stoneware or pottery, to add a touch of charm to your table setting. Consider adding some candlelight to create a warm and intimate ambiance.
Product Information: McGee & Co. Holiday Decor 2023 Collection
Rustic Christmas Decorating Ideas for the Bedroom
Add rustic holiday charm to your bedroom decor to create a warm and cozy atmosphere. Start by adorning your bed with flannel sheets, a plaid comforter, or a holiday-inspired duvet cover. Christmas bedding provides an excellent opportunity for a colorful seasonal update that creates magic for all to enjoy.
Add some rustic-inspired throw pillows and a faux fur blanket for warmth and comfort. Hang a rustic-inspired wreath or garland above your headboard for a festive touch. Incorporate natural elements into your bedroom decor, such as pinecones or dried lavender, for a touch of rustic charm.
Add soft string lights or candles to create a warm and inviting ambiance. Don’t forget to hang a rustic-inspired stocking on your bedroom door or wall for a festive touch.
Rustic Christmas Kitchen Ideas
Bring rustic charm into your kitchen with these Christmas decorating ideas. Start by adorning your kitchen island or countertops with a festive centerpiece. Use a wooden tray or a vintage crate as a base and fill it with fresh greenery, pinecones, and cinnamon sticks.
Add rustic-inspired kitchen accessories like wooden spoons or mason jar utensil holders to complete the look. Hang a rustic-inspired wreath on your kitchen window or above your sink to add a festive touch. Consider adding some string lights or candles for a warm and cozy ambiance. Remember to display your favorite holiday recipes or festive cookbooks to inspire your culinary creations.
Rustic Christmas Outdoor Decorating Ideas
Bring your rustic holiday charm outdoors with natural elements and vintage accents that will make your home the talk of the neighborhood. Here are some inspiring ideas to get you started:
1. Rustic Wreaths: Use natural materials like pine cones, holly branches, birch bark, and dried flowers to create rustic wreaths for your front door or porch. You can also add a rustic touch to a traditional wreath by wrapping it with burlap or twine.
2. Outdoor Lighting: Use warm white or soft yellow lights to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Drape them around your front porch, wrap them around tree trunks or bushes, and add them to your outdoor Christmas tree.
3. Natural Accents: Incorporate natural elements like pine cones, evergreen branches, and berries into your outdoor decor. Use them to create garlands, wreaths, and centerpieces.
4. Vintage Accents: Add a touch of nostalgia to your outdoor decor with vintage accents like old sleds, wooden crates, and antique lanterns. Fill them with seasonal greenery, pine cones, and ornaments.
5. Rustic Signs: Create rustic signs with holiday messages like “Joy to the World” or “Merry Christmas” using reclaimed wood or pallets. Use warm, festive colors and hang them on your front porch or yard.
6. Outdoor Centerpieces: Use wooden crates, galvanized buckets, or terracotta pots to create outdoor centerpieces. Fill them with seasonal greenery, pine cones, and ornaments.
7. Cozy Seating: Create a cozy seating area on your front porch or patio with warm blankets, pillows, and outdoor rugs. Add a rustic touch with wooden Adirondack chairs or a wooden bench. By incorporating natural and vintage elements, you can create a warm and inviting outdoor space that complements your indoor rustic Christmas decor.
Rustic Holiday Design Tips
- Create a wintery landscape in your home by decking your halls, tables, and more with inspired and innovative Christmas wreath placements.
- Nestle a hurricane in a berry wreath for a burst of color and texture. The candlelight alone will create an air of cozy comfort.
- If you’re feeling a bit fabulous, silvery ornament wreaths make a shining proclamation of your holiday happiness when placed among your other decor.
- Christmas wreaths and garlands can also make your house a holiday home from the outside in. Nothing is more inviting on an exterior wall or surrounding a patio sitting space.
- Illuminate your seasonal scene with outdoor lights and lanterns filled with LED candles to encourage friends and family to share in the festivities.
- Home is where the hearth is, and a well-adorned mantel is a must. Wreaths are the obvious stars of your fireplace display, but a supporting cast of berry garlands and even a woodland creature or two will help make your Christmas decor complete.
- Garlands aren’t just for the Christmas tree anymore. And wreaths aren’t the only traditional holiday decorations that are right at home hanging from walls and doorways. Repurposing garlands in different locations throughout your house is an inventive way to infuse your daily life with the Christmas spirit.
- A Christmas garland’s iconic greens and reds can transform any space into a yuletide celebration. From staircases to bookshelves to headboards, a cleverly installed garland sends a message that you have a passion for the season.
- Add a natural touch with a garland crafted of pinecones, or go for glamour with golden accents.
- As you explore decorative wreath ideas, add a lighter touch with candleholders, hanging ornaments, and embroidered accents. Christmas is the perfect time to let your inner light shine.
- Most importantly, your personal style should shine through all your holiday gatherings.
Conclusion: Rustic Christmas Decorating Ideas
Rustic Christmas decorations are a perfect way to create a warm and inviting holiday retreat in your home. You can transform your space into a cozy winter wonderland by incorporating natural elements, vintage accents, and warm hues.
Whether you embrace the popular rustic lodge Christmas trend or opt for a more traditional rustic style, the appeal of rustic Christmas decor is timeless and evokes a sense of warmth and nostalgia. With these ideas and trends, you can create a unique and inviting space that sets the stage for heartfelt celebrations and memorable moments with your loved ones.
Rustic Christmas Pins Optimized for Pinterest