25 Rustic Bedroom Ideas That’ll Make You Want to Cozy Up All Year Long
By Interior Designer, Tracy Svendsen | Updated July 2023
Rustic Bedrooms: If you’re a fan of rustic design, then you’ll love the following bedroom decorating ideas that will make your room feel cozy and comfortable all year long. With the right mix of natural textures, warm colors, and cozy accents, you can create a bedroom that feels like a luxurious retreat in the heart of the wilderness.
From reclaimed wood headboards to cozy plaid blankets, these ideas will help you create a rustic bedroom that feels warm and inviting, no matter the season. So whether you’re looking to update your current bedroom or create a new space from scratch, these rustic bedroom ideas are sure to inspire and delight you. Feature Image courtesy of Locati Architects.
What is a Rustic-Style Bedroom?
Rustic design in its most traditional sense may appear heavy and dark to some, but a modern rustic style has emerged over the past few years that takes a fresh and clean approach. The term ‘rustic’ is rather broad, and many styles fall into this category. Its most basic definition describes a natural, rough, aged, and casual aesthetic. The defining characteristic of rustic bedrooms is the use of natural materials.
Rustic bedrooms have a sense of connection to the past that’s hard to resist. They recall a simpler time in life and celebrate the art of repurposing. In short, rustic design is to “return to the forest .”The English term “rustic” is derived from the Latin “rusticus,” which means “peasant,” as distinct from urban. And so rustic design has a tremendous emphasis on the natural, utilizing materials like wood, wrought metals, stone, and plenty of plants in some variations of rustic design. These alternative variations of rustic design may emphasize wonderfully bright natural colors too.
Rustic Bedroom with Wood Floors & Beams & Stone Fireplace
Image courtesy of Peace Designs
Rustic Chic Bedrooms
Rustic chic bedrooms allow seamless blending of incongruent items such as antiques with country accessories or contemporary pieces with classic and rustic. This style includes rough wood beams for ceilings and natural elements like wood and stone. Natural fabrics are used for window treatments and throw pillows. Rustic chic incorporates leather, metal, and ceramics to create a warm and inviting space.
Cozy & Inviting Rustic Bedroom
Image courtesy of JLF & Associates
This beautiful bedroom was designed by JLF & Associates. The rustic elements in this space combine perfectly to create a warm and inviting bedroom with plenty of texture.
Design Elements of Rustic Bedrooms
1. Embrace Natural Light: Rustic design is connected to nature, and having gorgeous views of the surrounding landscape is always a good idea. Lightweight window treatments allow natural light to filter in.
2. Warm Lighting Options: Lighting is an important element in any bedroom, and in a rustic bedroom, the goal is a warm and cozy atmosphere. Start by choosing warm light bulbs with a soft yellow or orange hue. For your bedside tables, choose table lamps with a warm glow. Opt for lamps made of natural materials like wood or ceramic. To add a rustic feel, consider adding string lights or fairy lights. These lights add a warm and cozy glow to your bedroom and create a magical feel. Lastly, consider adding a few candles to your bedroom. Choose candles with warm scents like vanilla or cinnamon, and place them on your bedside table or dresser.
3. Rustic & Reclaimed Wood: One of the key elements of rustic interior design is using natural materials. From wood to stone, natural materials create a warm and inviting atmosphere in any space. Consider incorporating natural materials in your furniture and decor for your bedroom. Reclaimed wood is a great starting point because the outdoors inspires rustic bedrooms. Furniture should have a handmade feeling. Rustic furniture uses a variety of recycled or upcycled material that provides this look. It has no defined lines but instead resorts to the patterns of nature.
Use wide wood planks on the bedroom floor to give your home a more modern rustic style. The simple and solid appearance of large plank floors provides an automatic foundation for decorating your bedroom in a rustic style. For your side tables or dresser, choose pieces made of wood. You can also add a wooden bench or ladder for a rustic touch. Add wooden wall decor like a wooden sign or clock to add texture. These pieces add character and charm to your bedroom and create a natural feel. Use a repurposed barn door as a one-of-a-kind headboard. Wood is not limited to furniture – use twigs and branches to create organic form. Add a wooden tray or bowl to your dresser or bedside table. These pieces add warmth and texture to your space and create a cozy atmosphere.
4. Use Calming Colors: The color palette in a rustic bedroom is predictably natural and leans toward neutral. When it comes to colors, you want to channel nature. Think gorgeous earth tones, the color of wood, greens, and warm creams. Anything you use should be a nature-based color; natural fabrics—leather, burlap, cotton, etc.—metals and stone are all great examples of this.
Rustic Bedrooms: Rustic Bunkbeds
Image courtesy of Shelter Interiors
5. Natural Materials: Using raw natural materials is one of the essential components of rustic-style primary and guest bedrooms. Ideas for furnishings include a refectory table coupled with modern chairs or a modern fabric with a pop of color on a more traditional occasional chair. Choose bedding and curtains made of linen or cotton to complement the wood elements. These natural fabrics add texture to your bedroom, creating a cozy and inviting space. Lastly, consider adding a natural woven rug or jute rug to anchor your space. These rugs add warmth and texture to your bedroom and create a natural feel.
6. Add Plants for a Touch of Nature: Plants are a great way to add a touch of nature to your bedroom. In a rustic bedroom, you want to create a natural and organic feel; plants can help you achieve that. Start by choosing plants that are easy to care for and thrive in low-light conditions. Some great options include snake plants, pothos, or spider plants. Consider placing your plants in woven baskets or ceramic pots to add a rustic feel. These containers add texture and warmth to your space and create a natural feel. Faux florals are another way to add long-lasting country charm.
7. Pile on the Layers: Adding comfortable layers and textures to make a bedroom feel cozy is essential. Mixed materials like a down-filled duvet, blankets, and knit throws create a warm and inviting bed. Enhance a rustic home with a gorgeous quilt. A wide variety of quilts are available in many different colors and patterns. Quilts always succeed in supporting a rustic bedroom’s right look and feel. Hanging a quilt on the wall can also provide a down-home feel.
8. Mix and Match Textures: Texture is important in any rustic bedroom. In a rustic bedroom, you want to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere; mixing and matching textures can help you achieve that. Start by choosing bedding and curtains made of natural materials like linen or cotton. These fabrics add texture and create a warm and inviting space. Layer your bedding with a cozy knit throw blanket or a plaid blanket to add texture. You can add a few accent pillows made of wool or faux fur. For your walls, consider adding a woven wall hanging or a tapestry. These pieces add texture and create a cozy atmosphere.
Lastly, consider adding a natural woven rug or jute rug to anchor your space.
9. Natural & Organic Textures: Organic textures instantly make a space feel calm and relaxing, connecting us with nature and the outdoors, from wood and natural stone to woven baskets, plants, and natural fibers. As for textiles, avoid anything with a sheen and lean towards fabrics such as jute or leather. A key element of rustic design is the use of natural materials. From wood to stone, natural materials create a warm and inviting atmosphere in any space. When it comes to your bedroom, consider incorporating natural materials in your furniture, bedding, and decor.
10. Large, Nature-Inspired Details: Rustic style favors the masculine side of décor. Small-scale and feminine pieces feel out of place in a rustic bedroom. Opt for nature-inspired details and large-scale bedroom furniture.
11. Wrought metals: Metal door knobs and handles complement exposed wood beams. To enhance a rustic home, consider adding chandeliers and lamps that feature metal in their design.
12. Nature & Wildlife Artwork: Decorate your bedroom walls with gorgeous natural scenes like a woodland forest. Another great option is wildlife prints of buffalo, bears, deer, elk, and moose.
Elegant & Refined Rustic Primary Suite
Image courtesy of Architectural Digest
A whitewashed-oak ceiling caps the master bedroom of an Atlanta home, which is painted in a Benjamin Moore off-white. The bed’s coverlet and pillowcases are by Leontine Linens, as is the large square pillow on the settee. The chandelier and floor lamp are Suzanne Kasler’s designs for Circa Lighting, and the table lamp is by Christopher Spitzmiller. The curtains are of J. Robert Scott silk.
Bedrooms with Rustic Charm
Image courtesy of Peace Designs
Cozy Log Cabin Bedroom
Image courtesy of Cathedral Mountain Lodge
In the cabin bedroom shown above, the designer chose a reversible duvet cover that is solid on one side and reverses to a plaid pattern on the other. The shams and throw cushions have a beautiful rustic appeal and introduce red and green into the space. It’s a perfect example of a rustic bedroom that is warm and cozy, and not overdone.
How to Decorate Rustic Bedrooms
When decorating a bedroom, it’s a good idea to start with the bedding. This helps to define the color palette. Use the colors in the bedding as inspiration in choosing everything from window treatments to area rugs, furniture, and décor. Many rustic bedding sets feature wildlife such as bears, moose, deer, southwestern geometric prints, and pinecones. If you want something other than the full-on rustic style in your bedroom, consider going with solid bedding and layer on rustic pillows and a cozy cabin throw or quilt at the end of the bed.
Paint walls in subtle earth-tone shades or clad with reclaimed wood or stone. Wood furniture works well in a rustic bedroom, from log beds to reclaimed headboards. Another option is a leather headboard – which provides a very masculine look to the room.
Modern rustic bedrooms typically incorporate a neutral palette that relies on warm tones, natural wood, and rustic furniture. Create the perfect balance between modern and rustic elements to give the room a unique personality. Incorporate natural textures, rustic bedside tables, and repurposed and restored items with polished and contemporary finishes. Metallics such as weathered brass and iron create interest. Add rustic shelving, wooden crates, copper lamps, and galvanized buckets. Clean, modern lines contrast perfectly with distressed wood wall hangings and natural materials.
How to Make Rustic Bedrooms Cozy
Nothing is better than coming home to a cozy bedroom after a long day. To make your rustic bedroom extra comfy, choose warm, soft bedding. Opt for flannel sheets or a plush comforter to keep you toasty all night. Adding a few throw pillows in rich, inviting hues can also help create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Next, consider adding some warm lighting to your space. Soft, ambient lighting can make all the difference in creating a cozy atmosphere. Add table lamps or string lights to your bedroom to create a warm and inviting glow.
Finally, remember the power of scent. Adding a few candles or a diffuser with your favorite essential oils can make your bedroom more cozy and inviting. Consider scents like lavender or vanilla for a soothing and relaxing ambiance.
Rustic Bedrooms: Cozy Log Cabin Bedroom Design
Image courtesy of Shelter Interiors
Rustic Bedroom Color Schemes
When creating a rustic bedroom, color is an important element. In a rustic bedroom, you want to create a warm and inviting atmosphere; the right colors can help you achieve that. Start by choosing warm colors like cream, beige, or brown for your bedding and curtains. These colors create a cozy and inviting space. To add a splash of color, add a throw blanket or accent pillows in a warm color like rust or mustard. These colors add depth and create a rustic feel. Use a warm neutral color like beige or taupe for your walls. Lastly, add a few decor pieces in a warm color, like a vase or a picture frame, to add warmth and create a cohesive look.
Repurposing Old Items for a Rustic Touch
One of the great things about rustic decor is that you can repurpose old items to create a rustic feel. In a rustic bedroom, you want to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere; repurposing old items can help you achieve that. Start by repurposing old wooden pallets to create a headboard. This is a great way to add character and charm to your bedroom and create a rustic feel. You can also repurpose old wooden crates to create a side table or a storage unit. These pieces add texture and create a rustic feel. Lastly, consider repurposing old glass jars or bottles to create a vase or a candle holder. These pieces add character and warmth.
Bringing the Outdoors in with Rustic Decor
Rustic decor is all about bringing the outdoors in, and in a rustic bedroom, you want to create a natural and organic feel. One of the best ways to do this is by adding rustic decor pieces that bring the outdoors in. Start by adding a few pieces of driftwood to your space. These pieces add texture and create a natural feel.
Add a few antlers or horns to your space for height and organic shape. Lastly, consider adding a few nature-inspired art pieces to your walls.
Rustic Bedrooms: Conclusion
Creating a rustic bedroom is all about creating a warm and inviting atmosphere. With the right mix of natural materials, cozy bedding, warm lighting, and rustic decor, you can create a bedroom that feels like a cozy retreat in the heart of the wilderness. So, whether you’re updating your current bedroom or creating a new space from scratch, these rustic and farmhouse bedroom ideas are sure to inspire. With these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating a cozy bedroom you’ll never want to leave.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!